Electrical Power Product Partner
The Trench and HSP Group is a world leader in power engineering and the design of specialized high voltage electrical products serving customers in the utility and industrial markets around the globe.
Our product portfolio includes bushings, instrument transformers, and coil products. Trench products are installed in every corner of the world and have proven their reliability over decades.
Trench and the companies forming the Trench Group have always been front runners in all three fields of their business. Emil Haefele introduced the patent on oil impregnated paper condenser type bushings in 1937. 100 years ago, Trench produced the first paper oil Instrument transformers in Italy. Tony Trench, the founder of the Trench Group developed air core reactors in the early 1960s.
Brushings Products Portfolio & Footprint
•Connected to oil-insulated power transformers
•Operate with different environmental media: outdoors, cable junction box-oil and gas insulated substations
•Condenser grading and a choice of active part insulation:
•OIP – Oil Impregnated Paper
•RIP – Resin Impregnated Paper
•RIS – Resin Impregnated Synthetics
up to 1100 kV
up to 5000 A
up to 1200 kV
up to 6000 A
up to 245 kV
up to 2000 A
•Wall bushings are designed to lead the electrical current through walls.
•OIPOil Impregnated Paper
•RIPResin Impregnated Paper
Generator, High Current, & GIS Bushings
HSP, Germany (RIP/RIS)
• City, Country Troisdorf, Germany 1893 founded2007 new factory 2018 extension
Trench France (OIP)
• City, Country Saint-Louis, France1929 founded
THVS, China (OIP and RIP/RIS)
• City, Country Shenyang, China1995 founded
Instrument Transformers Product Portfolio
Current Transformers (CT) are used for current metering and protection in high voltage network systems. They transform the high current on the high voltage side into low current (1 or 5 A) adequate to be processed in measuring and protection instruments (secondary equipment, such as relays and recorders). A current transformer also isolates the measuring instruments from the high voltage of the monitored circuit. Current transformers are commonly used for metering and protection in the electrical power industry.
Voltage Transformers (VT) –inductive or capacitive –are used for voltage metering and protection in high voltage network systems. They transform the high voltage into low voltage adequate to be processed in measuring and protection instruments secondary equipment, such as relays and recorders. A VT isolates the measuring instruments from the high voltage of the monitored circuit. Voltage Transformer are commonly used for metering and protection in the electrical power industry.
Combined Current and Voltage Transformers
Combined Current and Voltage Transformers contain both, a VT and CT in one unit saving a lot of space. Combined Transformers, just as the individual units, have the main functions as described above for the CT and the VT. Combined Instrument Transformers are commonly used in the electrical power industry when the space at the substation is limited.
Capacitor Products, such as Coupling Capacitors, Energy Storage Capacitors, Transient Recovery Voltage Capacitors or Grading Capacitors are used within HV networks for various purposes. Examples are: coupling high frequency carrier signals to the power line, generating high voltage or currents pulses, as well as (in combination with CB) reducing transient over voltages, ensuring uniform voltage distribution or increasing the switching capacity of a breaker.
Coil ProductsProduct Portfolio and footprint
Dry Type Air Core Reactors
Reactors improve the overall efficiency of transmission and distribution systems through reduction of losses and fault current levels improving reliability and increasing transmission capacity.
Applications are Current Limiting, Capacitor Reactors and Harmonic Filter Reactors, as well as Shunt Reactors providing reactive Power compensation, Power Flow Control Series Reactors and HVDC Smoothing Reactors utilized in an HVDC.
Line Traps form part of the Power Line Carrier communication scheme. It`s function is to present a high impedance at the carrier frequency band while introducing negligible impedance at the power frequency.
Line traps are inserted into high voltage AC transmission lines to prevent undue loss of carrier signal power (40 kHz to 500 kHz) under all power system conditions.
Line Traps and Power Line Carrier (PLC):
• Line Traps for Power Line Carrier (PLC) communication systems represent a significant application segment for high voltage inductors.
• Power Line Carrier (PLC) is a common method of Power System Communication, such as teleprotection, voice and data communication. It has developed the reputation of being one of the most economical and reliable forms of communication and versatile in its application.
• The main function of the Line Trap is to present a high impedance at the carrier frequency band while introducing insignificant impedance at the power frequency. The high impedance limits the attenuation of the carrier signal within the power system by preventing the carrier signal from being:
– Dissipated in the substation
– Grounded in the event of a fault outside the carrier transmission path and
– Dissipated outside of the main transmission path
Special Reactors & Earth Fault Protection System
Trench offers a far range of Special Reactors, such as Dry Type Iron Core Reactors, Variable Oil-Immersed Shunt Reactors or Earth Fault Protection Systems (Arc Suppression Coils).
Arc Suppression Coils are intended to compensate single-phase to ground faults. This way they enable to continue with the power supply of the other two phases even during a ground fault.
Dry Type Iron Core Reactors:
• Trench offers special reactors incorporating iron cored reactors with air natural, air forced or water cooling.
• The application for such iron cored reactors may range from smoothing reactors, shunt reactors, energy storage reactors, to name just a few.
Variable Shunt Reactors:
• VSR are used for applications requiring a wide reactive power range with a non-dynamic regulation (e.g. wind farms)
• Functions which may be achieved by VSRs:
– Maintain steady-state voltage limit conditions
– Keep reactive power flow within predefined limits
– Maintain a desired power factor
Earth Fault Protection System:
• Trench offers equipment (Arc Suppression Coil) and services for high impedance (resonant or compensated) systems.
• This type of grounding is mainly used in Central Europe, Eastern Europe and Scandinavia, but due to a variety of technical advantages over other solutions, theresonant grounding is considered as future solution also in other countries.